Strong immunity is the foundation of healthy living. Immunity gives the body protection against diseases brought by all external and internal agents. A good immune system is required to make sure that the human body, one of the most complex systems in the entire world, runs at its optimal capabilities. The body’s immune system or the White Blood Cells (WBCs) constantly tries to ensure the health of the human body. It is not easy to maintain an ideal level of immunity (Ojas).
However, strong immunity can be achieved by following a healthy lifestyle. Strong immunity is achievable through a balanced lifestyle of work and rests along with the consumption of a few herbs..
The healthy herbs and spices help the WBCs and increase their fighting power. Many super herbs have healing capabilities and should be a staple in your kitchen..
There are some points to adhere to not just for a stronger immune system, but also for a healthy life, as under-
Sleep-Sleep is essential for a stronger immune system. Studies deprivation causes a compromised immune system. A person between the age of 18 and 64 should get an average sleep of 7-9 hours while kids should sleep more.
Stress-Excess stress weakens the immune system of the human body. If there is persistent stress, a break is necessary and care should be taken to ensure the situation is well under control. Yoga is recommended since it dissipates tension, increases fluidity throughout the tissues, and also clears stagnation.
List of Top 8 Super Herbs to Strengthen Your Immune System
The following 8 herbs and food items have huge benefits and should be consumed regularly-
1. Turmeric-Turmeric is a staple of Indian kitchens when it comes to cooking. Turmeric milk is used for almost every physical and body illness. Curcumin in Turmeric (Haldi) has anti-oxidant properties. Turmeric is also anti-microbial which means it fights bacterial as well as viral infections. Turmeric is also anti-inflammatory. Turmeric stimulates the adrenal glands to increase the hormone which decreases the inflammation. Thus, it is a super herb in many ways.
2. Garlic-Garlic has a long history of medicinal value in Ayurveda. It is anti-microbial like Turmeric and it also has cardiovascular and antineoplastic properties which help prevent and halt the development of various types of tumors.
3. Basil (Tulsi)-Of the many Basils around the globe, the most famous one is the Italian Basil. However, India, too, has its very own Basil called Tulsi (Tulsee). It is considered holy in India due to its many healing properties. Basil is considered a super herb since it is a fantastic stress-buster, providing relaxation in moments of stress. Basil has healing powers and is used to headaches, common cold, skin disorder, stomach disorder, dental problems, and even fever. It is so powerful that just even inhaling has healing effects.
4. Ginger– Ginger, the super herb, is used daily in Indian homes. It is a powerful antihistamine that fights allergies and helps fight against the cold with its decongestant properties. It is a pungent root and helps in toxin removal from the organs after breaking them down. Drink ginger and lemon with lukewarm water daily and feel fresh and happy.
5. Black Pepper– Black pepper is a versatile spice used worldwide and is more than just a kitchen staple. It is the “king of spices” and has a high concentration of potent, beneficial plant compounds. It is high in antioxidants. It has anti-inflammatory properties. It benefits the brain, improves blood sugar control, lowers cholesterol levels, and has cancer-fighting properties
6. Honey- Honey, like Turmeric, is anti-microbial and can fight viral and bacterial infections. Honey helps in lowering blood pressure and also improves Cholesterol in the body. A combination of Turmeric with Honey is an even more potent medically
7. Ashwagandha-It is also a super herb widely recognized to boost the immune system as it is rich in lipids, amino acids, peptides, and the base of nucleic acid It is the Indian ginseng with its anti-inflammatory and rejuvenating properties. It reduces blood sugar levels, reduces stress hormones, and lowers cholesterol levels.
8. Bell Peppers-Being sweet and crunchy they are loved by most Indians. They contain Carotenoids which slows the risk of certain types of cancer. The Beta-carotene in them gets broken down into Vitamin A and Zeaxanthin, which helps to prevent cataracts and macular degeneration. Their richness in Vitamin C increases the production of antibodies and WBC.
The immune system takes time to be built. Stress is the biggest enemy of the immune system and has to be kept in control. By increasing usage of these eight herbs combined with a healthy lifestyle, sleep, exercise, and mediation, the goal of strong body immunity can be achieved and stress can be very well managed.