Data science is one of the leading technological disciplines today since data drives all business decisions across countless industries. The world of data analytics and Big Data has evolved enormously and multiplied many times in the last few years.
Today, data scientists and analysts are few of the most well-paid professionals across the world. Glassdoor.com suggests that the job of a data scientist is among the top 10 jobs in the world. Payscale.com also reports that an average data scientist can earn € 55,509 annually in Germany.
While a comprehensive data science course can make your pathway to becoming a data scientist easier, you would still need to put in a lot of effort. Since the job’s fairly technical, you would need a lot of specialised tech and soft skills to do well as a data scientist.
Let’s explore the kind of specialised skills you need for working in the data science industry.
8 Skills you can’t do without as a data scientist
Careers in data science can allow you to be at the forefront of business and technological advancements and offer you several career-defining moments. That being said, you also need to exhibit a lot of skills to be able to make an actual impact.
Here are eight must-have skills for becoming a successful data scientist.
- Expertise in machine learning methods: Machine learning is one of the most widely used applications of data science in the modern world. Therefore, you will be expected to work with machine learning algorithms and data models as a data scientist or analyst.
- Knowledge of analytics and modelling: The quality of data and statistical insights is as good as the analytical and modelling techniques used to process the data. As a data scientist, you would be expected to be proficient in data analytics and modelling.
- Foundation in math and statistics: Any kind of data analysis and processing is built on a foundation of strong arithmetic and statistical knowledge. Therefore, you should have a strong foundation in mathematical subjects like calculus and algebra.
- Computer coding and programming skills: More than often, you will be asked to create practical applications of your theoretical data models. Therefore, you must know data analytical computer coding languages such as R and Python.
- Data visualisation skills: An integral part of a data scientist’s job description is to break up huge complex data into small digestible pieces. Excellent data visualisation skills can help you accomplish that.
These skills aside, you should also have an eagerness for learning new things and an aptitude for keeping yourself updated on the latest industry trends.
Becoming a data scientist will allow you to take your organisation ahead of its competitors and help senior management make data-driven profitable decisions.
A good data science programme can help you learn all the skills you require to be a good data scientist. Start your search for appropriate data science courses from reputed universities to help you enter the data science industry.