With the lifestyle everyone is marching towards which includes an excess amount of sweet intake, it is obvious to have gum diseases.
A serious gum infection that damages gums and destroys the jawbone. Most gum diseases damage the soft tissue and without treatments destroy the bone that destroys our bone which supports your teeth.
There are several gum disease treatments that are available for various problems. Symptoms of gum diseases include bad breath, red swollen gums, tender bleeding gums, loose teeth, sensitive teeth.
Protecting your gums will always count better than spending money on medications and treatments.
Prevention is always better than cure. Gum diseases may increase the risk of getting respiratory infections like COPD and pneumonia, as per the journal of periodontology.
The infections might also be caused when bacteria from the mouth gets inhaled into the lungs, possibly because the air gets inflamed. Here are some tips that would help you protect your gums.
- Avoid tobacco usage: Tobacco is one of the most harmful to overall health, smoking or chewing tobacco (is tobacco free chew safe?, read to know the answer) releases toxins that encourage the development of gum disease. Tobacco contributes to many harms for the whole body along with causing gum diseases.
- Monitor your consumption: Many foods cause gum diseases therefore it becomes easier to protect your gums if you monitor what you consume. The less sugary foods and beverages that you consume the better it is for the gums.
Dairy products that are low in sugar, like whole milk, Greek yogurt, and cheeses are great for the gums. Eating a balanced diet with all necessary vitamins and minerals boosts immunity and helps protect the body from various diseases.
- Brush and floss: The combination of brushing at least two times a day provides the perfect punch for preventing bacteria growth.
Therefore, choosing the perfect brush with perfect bristles along with perfect toothpaste helps in preventing bacterial growth.
- Maintaining Good Oral Health: Taking good oral care is crucial for healthy gums. You should add flossing to your route to reduce the risk of plaque building up and damaging gums. Flossing helps you remove any plaque that’s hiding under your gums.
A mouthwash that is low in alcohol can be beneficial to oral health. Many gum diseases are cured just by simple teeth cleaning and practicing good oral hygiene.
- Staying Hydrated: Staying hydrated is important in preventing gum disease as well as helping in promoting overall health. Drinking plenty of water helps in fighting bacteria that cause gum infection. Staying hydrated benefits, the body in a number of ways apart from protecting against gum diseases.
- Professional dental cleaning: Getting your gums checked and getting professional teeth cleanings from a dentist every 6 months is vitally important for your dental health.
Sometimes plague grows and hardens into tartar which can only be removed from your teeth by a dental professional. If tartar is left on your teeth, bacteria spread over time to your gums causing gum diseases.
- Limiting alcohol consumption: As much as alcohol is bad for health, it is bad for your teeth for many reasons, mainly because alcohol makes your mouth dry which gives bacteria the perfect environment to flourish.
It wears down the enamel making gums and teeth more susceptible to infection. The harm that alcohol does to your body is unexplainable.
- Increase Vitamin C intake: Vitamin C acts as a defense against gum diseases. The deficiency of this vitamin is one of the leading causes of gum diseases, hence increasing the amount of vitamin C in your meal not only helps protect your gums but also saves the body from other infections. Vitamin C’s healing properties can stop the gums from swelling or bleeding.
- Visit the dentist for preventive care: Getting your teeth and gums checked frequently is another important step in protecting the gums.
Getting your teeth and jaw fixed and getting orthodontic treatment which helps in correcting problems with the bite, closing gaps between teeth, which helps in improving appearances as well as bite solving problems with apparencies.
Getting frequent checkups by Ferntree Gully orthodontics whenever required helps prevent mouth wear and improves the mouth’s health. It might be costly and time-consuming yet definitely worth it in the long run.
Taking good care of your gums from the beginning and protecting them from decaying or other gum diseases might seem tiresome and costly but taking care from the very beginning helps prevent unwanted diseases and also save a lot of money for the future. So, keep in mind these steps and lead a healthy gum life!